Lawyers Fighting For You After A Rideshare Accident
Rideshares such as Uber and Lyft are becoming more and more popular in Chicagoland, McKinley Park and neighborhoods throughout Illinois. More rideshares on the streets means a higher likelihood of suffering an accident involving a rideshare vehicle.
At the family-owned and operated firm of Berg & Berg, we fight for the rights of people injured in serious accidents. With more than 75 combined years of experience, our attorneys are committed to helping you recover maximum compensation – even in a complex rideshare case.
Rideshare Accidents: What You Should Know
Whether you are a passenger in a rideshare accident or a driver hit by a rideshare vehicle, try to follow these steps after a crash.
- Contact the police to file an accident report.
- Take pictures of the accident site. If you were a passenger, take screenshots of the ride confirmation on your app.
- Get the personal insurance information as well as the rideshare insurance information of the driver.
- Seek medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor.
- Contact a rideshare injury attorney before you speak to any insurance company representatives.
Some rideshare drivers are underinsured or uninsured, making it difficult for you to recover compensation for your damages. You may still have the option to seek coverage from the rideshare company’s insurance company. Many rideshare accidents have issues of third-party liability, which makes it possible to seek compensation from additional sources.
How Does The Uber/Lyft Driver’s Status Affect A Claim?
The driver’s status at the time of the accident determines whether their personal insurance carrier owes you compensation or whether the rideshare company does. You can reference this chart to learn whose insurance company is involved:
- Driver offline, not logged into the app: The driver’s personal insurance
- Driver online, available, waiting for request: The driver’s insurance
- Driver online, ride request accepted, en route: Rideshare company’s insurance
- Driver online, transporting rider: Rideshare company’s insurance
Unfortunately, rideshare companies and their insurance companies will do anything they can to avoid liability, including obscuring evidence and trying to place the fault on you. This makes it very important to have personal injury lawyers like ours who have handled these cases successfully.
Discuss Your Rideshare Crash In A Free Consultation
For help seeking compensation after a rideshare accident, contact Berg & Berg for a free consultation. You can call us at 773-596-6654 or send us an email. Our Chicago office is centrally located, close to public transportation and has free parking.